httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Hosting case-sensitive httpd on case-insensitive filesystem
Date Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:21:10 GMT

Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

>   What sorts of problems should I expect to run into if I run a
> case-sensitive (Unix) httpd on a case-insensitive (HFS+) filesystem?
> I be looking at the code in a minute, but I'm wondering if people
> who've dealt with it might offer some insight.
>
>   I've been talking to the kernel guys about detecting per-directory
> what filesystem is underneath and they say no problem, but I doubt the
> answer will be very portable, though it would possibly be portable to
> other BSD's or easy to add to other BSD's. When I have something that
> works, I'm bring it up again so we can figure out what the right thing
> to do is.
>
>   In the meantime, we compile with the assumption of having the docroot
> on UFS, but people want to be able to move the docroot to an HFS+ volume
> and that makes me nervous. Should it?

Id' say that you could 'avoid' making it OS specific; (and in fact it
would be usefull say on a BSD machine with a dos/fat16/fat32 partition.

You'd be looking at a 'comapre case(in)sensitive flag' on a per directory
basis (which would also cover the <File thing), but stay well away of the
URI matching.

Dw