httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include ap_mmn.h http_config.h
Date Fri, 08 Jan 1999 20:46:41 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> But as I said: Putting it at offset 24 is not better for binary compatibility
> AFAIK. So I still vote +1 for putting it back to offset 0.

And I'm still -1 and vetoing it.  With the cookie at offset
0, the core will try to find the version & module name
at offsets 4 and 16 respectively.  Modules built under
1.3.2 and 1.3.3 will have them at offsets 0 and 12.
So 1.3.4+ would not be able to say "mod_foo is too
old" for modules compiled for two public releases because
it would be looking for the name in the wrong place.  It
would say "module (null) is too old".  That's bogus and
stupid when it doesn't need to happen.

I'm done with this topic.
--
#ken    P-)}