httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Testing/Validation
Date Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:36:20 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 06:21 PM 1/6/99 +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> >
> >> The idea is to test and validate the configuration.
> >> This would include feature testing.
> >> Right now I'm looking for any tools that currently exist.
> >> Even generic tools that are not Apache specific.
> >
> >expect ?
> >wget + diff ?
>
> That's a poor excuse for a response, Fabien.

I dunno - seems like a damn good basis for a test suite to me. And useful, since
wget was not known to the questioner.

> A testing tool has been talked about since 1.0 days, but no one's really
> come up with one.  Most likely it's been because we've relied upon our
> users to do our testing for us... but it would still be nice to have a
> suite that checked some basic functionality before we do a release, like
> Perl's "make test".  A framework for test conditions and results would
> allow one to be written in iterations.  Anyone else interested in this?

Are we allowed to presuppose Perl? (hint: this would be a damn good idea!).

Getting real for a moment, wget + diff or expect probably don't cut it because
of necessary variability in responses, and also coz modularity is to be desired
(we're likely to have to build expected responses rather than simply type them
in, if anyone is going to retain their sanity). Building up Perl modules to do
this strikes me as a good way to go.

Cheers,

Ben [BAPF (Born Again Perl Fan)[1]].

[1] With reservations.