httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: more wacky A2 ideas
Date Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:45:55 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > OK, I get that. Isn't the solution to seperate LRI metadata from LRI
> > data? So CGI and file share (some) metadata but have there own way of
> > deriving content.
>
> I suppose... that might not be a bad idea; splitting the data store into
> two sections, in (possibly) different modules: one that determines which
> object in the data store the request refers to, and the other that
> actually delivers it. Hmm.

Not just which object, but other aspects (such as what configuration
applies, who owns it, etc and blah).

> > I'm noticing a trend in your snipping, BTW - you seem to be avoiding
> > anything that leads towards inheritence - I think that is a mistake.
>
> Well, I'm not doing it intentionally, I promise. I like inheritence.
> Really. Nearly all the code I've written in the last year has been object
> oriented code (C++, Java and Perl 5). I'm just not sure where
> inheritence fits into this. Could you elucidate?

Well, one view is that CGIs and files inherit from an abstract
"hierarchical" type. Multiple inheritance may be needed to make this
useful, though... hmmm...

> [...]
>
> > I'm trying hard not to mention C++ here.... :-) (and, seriously, this
> > kind of inheritance should not be linked with C++ - we're talking about
> > a more limited kind of object-orientation).
>
> I seem to recall the proper language term for classes that have
> inheritence without polymorphism as being 'object-based'. But that could
> be wrong.

Well, polymorphism may not be so bad, either, but what I don't want to
do is link "object orientation" and "C++" in this conversation.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html