httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
Date Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:56:26 GMT
In a message dated 1/24/99 4:53:27 PM MST, writes:

<< Suddenly it is becoming all too clear to me where this
 thread is leading  , hrrm :-/
 Cheers Mik Voase >>

So, be my guest, please tell everyone where it is going.

Is it really so clear?

This is the whole problem you guys are faced with and let me tell you it's
fascinating to watch where you are heading.

You want to incorporate to protect the Apache brand, but where is the Apache

It's not even registered to you because there is no you. Go back to the
threads on when IBM sat down with Apache and read about the problems the
lawyers had incorporating you in to the IBM culture.

Remote Communications, Inc. can choose to make CHTML™ free at any time. We can
choose to make the source code free at any time, just like the Apache group,
BUT unlike the Apache group we own the brand name.

That's important in the corporate world, but irrelevant in the non corporate
world. Ergo when you transition from one state to another you need to acquire
the characteristics of the new state. Hence the first thing the Apache Group
needs to do is sit down with a bunch of lawyers and define who "owns" what and
then you can start giving it away.

This is a management problem not a programming problem.

Peter J. Cranstone

View raw message