httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
Date Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:17:48 GMT
Cranstone1@aol.com wrote:

> By the way, why has it taken TWO years to get the bylaws and a corporate
> structure done? Surely something like that takes only a few days :)

Maybe, just maybe, this provides some insight on AG.

During those 2 years, we produced code. We updated, enhanced and
improved Apache.

You really can't have it both ways. We _don't_ rush into becoming a NPO,
and you complain that we take too long and imply somehow that that makes
us idiots. Yet we can't consider even becoming an NPO until we make
sure that everyone who uses Apache is totally clear on how the NPO
will be setup and have nice warm and fuzzy feelings about it.

If you have _suggestions_ then please let us know. Simple statements
that "you guys are all wrong and unless you listen to me Apache
will crash and burn" aren't suggestions.

Do _your_ customers know every detail about how your company is setup?
Did you ask _your_ customers about how they would want you to setup
your company?

As an aside, I get the impression from your site that your company, in
no small part, depends on Apache. That you do some sort of custom
work with/on Apache and that your compression schemes run on and
require Apache (at some level). Have you ever sent AG an Email and said
"Thanks"? Have you ever considered that _your_ business is based,
on some level, on the work done by people who receive NO compensation
for it? Have you ever submitted a bug report, or possible a patch?

Of course, I'm not complaining about that. In fact, that's one of the
keys to Apache and Open Source technology. We don't expect lots of
Email saying "Thanks" or everyone using Apache to contribute. It's why
the LICENSE is crafted and written the way it is. It's the way WE WANT IT.
I just find your attitude ironic with regards to the whole scheme.