httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Jones" <b...@fccj.org>
Subject Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
Date Sun, 24 Jan 1999 16:59:47 GMT
Here come the flames, here come the flames, better get ready -
Cuz here come the flames  :]  (With apologies...)

----------
>From: Cranstone1@aol.com
>To: new-httpd@apache.org
>Subject: Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
>Date: Sun, Jan 24, 1999, 11:34 AM
>

> Everything has to be approved before release etc., and that has nothing to do
> with whether or not the code is even working properly.
>
> Question. Does the Apache group have a bank account?, and if so who is
> accountable?
>
> Open source is great, free code is great, but someone has to do some
> reconciliation.
>
> Apache with the right management team in place could be the dominant force in
> the web server business. By dominant I mean 85% plus. People who use IIS
> simply remove the software and install Apache because it is SO much better.
>
> Here's how you do it. Get the top 10 Apache guys, organize them with decent
> salaries and give them one objective, TAKE NO PRISIONERS. Nothing motivates
> like success, and $$$. We are all capitalists at heart.

Nothing like a choke hold on your clientele, huh?

That is the very thing I am concerned about.  Why the hell should
I contribute - code or EFFORT - into someone else's bottom line?

> Bottom line, either stay the same, or organize and rule. Gates DID it, Apache
> can to. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.
>
> I like many others read the Halloween memo. Gates is only worried in the short
> term. Long term he knows he can win, he has proven it time and time again. How
> does he do it. Superior management NOT superior code.

Not a superior management style.

Superior attack on the gullible public.  Open Source, et al, came
about not because MS software sux, it generally doesn't - but
because overall it could be MUCH better and less expensive
in dollar terms.

My primary complaint is/has always been - but allow me to state
it differently - How will this new infrastructure be supported?
I just feel that long term, excellent programmers pumping out
code will NOT help create a for profit support environment;
not unless they simply 'just have to publish all that wonderful
code I do not plan on ever supporting; but you go right ahead
and use it, cause little ol' us won't mind one bit.  Not,
at least, until you make it into something great then
we want our fair share - hell we made it didn't we?'

Can't have it both ways.

Not to worry, I'm still evolving :]

> I have a healthy respect for Apache and there core programmers, but their
> résumé's all state, Position: Programmer, not management.
>
> My advice, if you turn into a corporation, hire the best. As someone once
> said, if you think knowledge is expensive, wait and see how much ignorance
> costs you!
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Peter J. Cranstone
> Cranstone@RemoteCommunications.com

And I thought I was being a pessimist  :]
Bill Jones  | FCCJ Webmaster |  http://www.fccj.org/cgi/mail?webmaster
 http://certserver.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x37EFC00F