httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: [APR] Comments to proposed function interface
Date Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:55:21 GMT

In article <19990122131551.14267@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

> Okay, here are some thoughts I just had to write down when I
> first read the apr-function.txt draft.
>[...]

I've also quickly looked over the apr-function.txt draft and I was astonished
to now find anything about some abstraction to memory allocation.  I expected
to read something about a pool system like our current one but which is able
to both allocate pool data from the heap and from shared memory areas in a
portable way. Because that's what I've already written for my EAPI in the
background and my understanding always was that this functionality should be
already provided by a low-level API like APR and not at higher levels. For the
heap based allocation POSIX malloc() & friends could be used internally by
APR, of course. But the dirty work with various mmap()-based or shmget()
variants should be done by APR.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com