httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.4 <-> Lynx 2.[78] compatibility problem
Date Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:32:12 GMT
On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 09:15:32PM +0100, Koen Holtman wrote:
> The end result for the Lynx user is that any GET on a negotiated page
> returns a list of variants, never an actual variant, no matter which
> Accept headers are configured.  This makes sites which use a lot of
> negotiation extremely painful to use from Lynx.

Oops! That will bite many european (asian / international / ... )
users. I'm offering german and english content-language on my servers
myself, and would hate to go back to "click here for the xyz language"
kind of "negotiation" because of this bug.

> Short term fix:
>
> I can code up an Apache 'BrowserMatch' special case in mod_negotiation
> to work around the Lynx bug.

Hmmm. How could that work? Going back to HTTP/1.0 level won't help.
(For instance, X-Mosaic is HTTP/1.0, can send Accept-Language headers,
but it doesn't understand a 300 reply. AFAIK the Apache negotiation code
makes no distinction between HTTP protocol levels as long as the
Accept-* headers are present).

What kind of BrowserMatch solution did you have in mind?

If such a "short term" solution was possible, I'd +1 the integration
of that workaround into the standard config files.

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@MchP.Siemens.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021               |        Communication  Products