httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: New regex lib? (fwd)
Date Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:10:34 GMT

In article <36A39B0D.44BAC5C0@lyra.org> you wrote:
> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>>
>> In article <Pine.WNT.4.05.9901181136130.-385449@helium.jetpen.com> you wrote:
>>
>> > Guys, for PHP4 (and Apache2) we should probably look into using Henry's
>> > new regex library.
>>
>> Yes, and we should also look at Paul Hazel's re-implementation of the Perl
>> compatible regular expressions: PCRE
>> (ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/). It's a nice library
>> which could make RewriteRules even more horrible (ARGL...don't strike me) ;-)

> fyi...

> PCRE is now being used by Python, as of version 1.5 (rather than a
> custom(?) regex module). PCRE works very well; it's fast; it's thread
> safe.

Yeah, and it provides really powerful regex variants as we all like from Perl.
For instance it could at least reduce some complicated rewrite rule sets to
just a single and more clear RewriteRule where backreferences in the pattern
can be used. And it provides even some sort of POSIX regex interface for
backward compatibility, although you cannot reach the full power of PCRE this
way, of course.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com