httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Uwe Mager <...@helios.de>
Subject Re: Hosting case-sensitive httpd on case-insensitive filesystem
Date Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:31:52 GMT
On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 06:25:03PM -0500, Bill Jones wrote:

> I always thought MacOS (assuming a lot here) serialized
> the data file, so that 'Fileone' and 'fileone' would become:
>
> fileone and fileone.1, respectively...

This is definitely not the case, the case is preserved. That means
you can look a file name via opendir()/readdir() and strcmp will
not match with a user supplied buffer, although an open() call might
match and access the file.

I would suspect that using Apache on a case insensitive but case
preserving file system would require that a lot of code that is
currently used for Win32 to be enabled also for the Unix version.

Especially as this is security related it will open a can of worms.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3