httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Shell script stuff...
Date Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:42:34 GMT

In article <199901152310.SAA09262@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

> Does anyone have any cares whether we use "x" or "."? I know Ralf's
> mentioned that he prefers "." and others have mentioned that "x" or
> "X" is more "universal". I don't care which.

The reason why I like "." more is just optically.  Because the dot is just a
technical kludge needed because of the braindeadness of shells, so it should
optically disappear to not interrupt the understanding of the expression.  But
I've no real objections for using "x", of course. But "X" is really too less
disappering...

> I just don't want to
> spend any more time f*cking with stuff just to have it reversed.
> The way it is right now really is not acceptable, and there are
> places where it's just plain _wrong_

Not acceptable? But I hope you speak not about APACI code. AFAIK there not a
single test expression inside APACI where which isn't already secured by the
kludge, right? Inside APACI your changes should be really just cosmetic
changes related to the "." vs. "x" style, right?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com