httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Shell script stuff...
Date Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:48:33 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> remain clam!

I prefer to remain scallop :)

> Jim Jagielski writes:
> >Does anyone have any cares whether we use "x" or "."? I know Ralf's
> >mentioned that he prefers "." and others have mentioned that "x" or
> >"X" is more "universal". I don't care which. I just don't want to
> >spend any more time f*cking with stuff just to have it reversed.
> >The way it is right now really is not acceptable, and there are
> >places where it's just plain _wrong_
>
> "_wrong_" is bad, let's not do that.

Well, [ $var = yes ] (stuff like that) _is_ wrong. It's the specific
thing we're trying to avoid. Is not a question of styling, it's a
question of the code not barfing :)

> I'd avoid period only because it's associated with things in my mind -
> hidden files, grep, including files, dereferencing in Bliss, statement
> terminating in Prolog, so when I see one I have to dismiss all these
> possible meanings.

The 2 most popular "prefixes" are 'x' and 'X'. I would even wager that
old-hands at shell programming sort of expect one of the 2. That's
NOT a vote for either one, nor a vote against '.'. Perl uses 'X'.
GNU uses a whole slew of prefixes and methods...

Using another (like 'z' or 'a') I think simply confuses the matter :/