httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/helpers GuessOS PrintPath TestCompile binbuild.sh buildinfo.sh checkheader.sh find-dbm-lib findcp
Date Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:50:59 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yes, I realise there were some good changes in jim's patch -- adding ""s
> around things.  Unfortunately I'm not willing to accept the rest of the
> changes.
>
> Given the variance of shells, I'd half expect there is some shell out
> there that will see:
>
>    if [ "$opt" != "" ];
>
> and if $opt has a leading - it'll screw up.
>
> Maybe the common practice of using:
>
>    if [ "x$opt" != "x" ];
>
> isn't really required, but *it is common practice*, and I don't see any
> reason for us to go around rooting out broken shells just so that we can
> solve some fucking waste of time STYLE DEBATE.  Jesus.

Dean, I'm all for the 2nd method. Hell, I'm the leading proponent of
it (look at my code). I don't even care if it's 'x' or '.'.
What IS important is that we're consistant and correct. At present,
we are neither (during the changes, there were many cases of non-wrapped
or protected $vars).

No flames at all.