httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src Configure
Date Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:44:58 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> - you and others can't agree on "x" vs. "."
> - so you figure that eliminating them both resolves the issue, and your
> manual says that neither should be required

Nope. The manual says that AS LONG as both sides are wrapped by double
quotes, then there is NO problem. The problem exists for things like:

	if [ $VALUE = test ]

if $VALUE is null, then the shell will barf. There are 2 methods to avoid
this:

	if [ x$VALUE = xtest ]

 or

	if [ "$VALUE" = "test" ]

> - however every other piece of free software uses "x" (or something like
> it), and must do it for some reason

See above and below. Most use only one or the other. Perl uses
'test "X$var" = "X$val"

> - folks have demonstrated that in some cases it's necessary

See above. Using "x-flag" is NOT required, but is SIMPLY for
extra insurance. If we want to use this UNIVERSALLY then I am ALL
FOR IT. In fact I would PREFER it and HAVE suggested it.

> - you're now willing to take the chance that you're not going to screw up
> and forget a "x" or "." where it's required

At which point it will be caught and fixed...

> i.e. because of a stupid style debate you've now weakened the product.
>
> Sorry, but that's a big fat -1 from me, and I'll back it out myself.

Note that I was the one who ORIGINALLY did the "x$var" = "x" stuff
and that THAT was changed and altered to all forms of this method.
At least now, if we want to do it RIGHT, we can simply change
[ "$var" = "whatever" ] to [ "x$var" = "xwhatever" ] RIGHT NOW.
Reversing back to what we had DOES NOT make things better. If you
are against the present method, fine, but then let's do it CONSERVATIVELY
and CONSISTANTLY.

Before you back that out, how does that fly?