httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.4 Problem
Date Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:42:12 GMT

In article <008301be4004$101c75a0$0502a8c0@blanca.covalent.net> you wrote:

> I'm apparently not understanding the problem. $TARGET should only
> be applied to file naming. ie the log files, the startup script,
> the server binary, the manual pages. I cannot understand why it
> is adding another directory name to the sysconfdir for example.
> I've always used --compat option, so I am not real familiar with
> what the "GNU" layout would expect.

I try to explain the point: When you use --prefix=/usr/local, for instance the
includedir will be just /usr/local/include, but installing our include files
xxx.h as /usr/local/include/xxx.h is most of the time conflicting.  That's why
we do the following:

When includedir already contains the target name somewhere we can assume that
it's a dedicated path (e.g.  /usr/local/apache/include) where all is fine. But
in the above case of just /usr/local/include we have to assume it's a shared
path and so we append the target name and install xxx.h as
/usr/local/include/apache/xxx.h.  This is good old tradition and used by a lot
of packages to avoid conflicts.

The problem is just that the default target name is "httpd" and then the
private path /usr/local/apache/include is not recognized as such. That's the
problem which occured for the users with 1.3.4.  Is the situation now a little
bit more clear?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com