httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: 1.3.4 Tarball
Date Tue, 12 Jan 1999 06:49:48 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 11:26:00PM -0500, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > > You didn't get a module version complaint from Apache?
> >
> > No. mod_php3.c was recompiled alright. But the knowledge about the
> > request_rec structure is also compiled into, say, functions/head.c
>
> Ok, but what I meant was that the check in ap_add_module() should have
> seen the discrepancy between the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR in the new
> Apache binary vs. the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR compiled into the module
> when it was compiled.

But this check works only on the "struct module_struct" (which is in
mod_php3.c which in turn _was_ recompiled). But the request_rec
is part of the libmodphp3.a which is compiled at a totally different
directory.

So what I meant was that people should be made aware of the fact that
with 1.3.4, they MUST throw their earlier compiled libraries in the
trashcan (this dependency is unusual for libraries which tend to be the
version independent part of a software component).

>     fprintf(stderr, "Please contact the vendor for the correct version.\n");
>
> This annoying message has popped up for me a few times lately when I have
> linked an old libphp3.a into a newer Apache.

I wish I had seen such a message. Would have saved me several hours ;-)

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products