httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include ap_mmn.h http_config.h
Date Thu, 07 Jan 1999 08:18:32 GMT

In article <19990106191452.10720.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> coar        99/01/06 11:14:52

>   Modified:    src      CHANGES
>                src/include ap_mmn.h http_config.h
>   Log:
>       If we tried to check the version number of a module compiled
>       before 1 January 1999, we'd be looking in the wrong places
>       for the filename and version numbers because the magic cookie
>       insertion changed their offsets.  This fixes that, at the cost
>       of making any modules compiled between 1 January 1999 and 6 January
>       1999 unreadable.  Balancing a span of five days against six
>       months makes this seem reasonable.

When you move the magic cookie to an offset different from 0 this is
problematic IMHO. That's why the cookie is at offset 0: because when mod_so
loads a module it gets the symbol for the module structure. The most harmless
test to check whether it's really a module is to check the integer value at
the address of this symbol. When the file is garbled it could be that the
offset is perhaps already out of memory bounds.  So, I think the cookie should
be at offset 0. Your problem is just a bootstrapping problem, i.e.  you tried
to load older modules without recompiling, right?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com