httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Pool <...@wistful.humbug.org.au>
Subject Re: more wacky A2 ideas
Date Tue, 05 Jan 1999 02:37:33 GMT
On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 04:56:28AM -0800, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> To recap: based on its parameters (URL, headers, etc...), the server maps
> the request to what I've been calling an LRI (Local Resource Identifier):
> an object from a 'data store', plus zero or more content filters. These
> are layered, with a 'magic cache' in between each layer (see my previous
> emails for great detail - it doesn't affect what I'm talking about here).
> The object is created, filtered, processed, diced, sliced and delivered to
> the client.

That sounds a lot like what the Java-Apache project (the
great-grandchild of Alexei's servlet interface) does now.  We want to
use a portion of the server's namespace to identify Java classnames
rather than filenames
http://victim/servlets/org/apache/java/TestServlet is looked up using
a Java classloader, rather than by descending through directories.
What's more, we want to map different directories to different
'zones' within the Java half, and there's a concept rather like LRIs
in place already.

> This seems like
> a neat idea: One could store configuration information in a database, or
> even generate it dynamically! (No, I'm not sure what that's good for,
> either)

Perhaps for companies who generate their server configuration from a
database of customers?

--
Martin Pool