httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@Covalent.NET>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:17:00 GMT
"Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com> writes:
> In article <19981202000021.17610.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> > randy       98/12/01 16:00:20
>
> >   Modified:    .        Makefile.tmpl configure
> >                src      CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Configure Makefile.tmpl
> >                src/include httpd.h
> >                src/main http_config.c http_log.c http_main.c util.c
> >                src/modules/proxy proxy_cache.c
> >                src/modules/standard mod_include.c mod_log_agent.c
> >                         mod_log_config.c mod_log_referer.c mod_mime.c
> >                src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
> >   Log:
> >   Fix TARGET configuration when configuring and installing using
> >   APACI configure. TARGET now defines the basename of the configuration
> >   file, startup script, manual page, etc. log_error_core() now reports
> >   the server binary name given by argv[0]. TARGET can now also be defined
> >   with --target=TARGET parameter passed to APACI configure.
>
> It's fine except for those changes, IMHO:
>
> >[...]
> >   +       echo "|   $(sbindir)/$(TARGET)ctl start"; \
> >[...]
> >   +           -e 's;logs/access_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-access_log;' \
> >   +           -e 's;logs/error_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-error_log;' \
> >   +           -e 's;logs/referer_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-referer_log;' \
> >   +           -e 's;logs/agent_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-agent_log;' \
> >[...]
>
> Because these provide compat problems: The default for TARGET is "httpd", so
> the script is now named "httpdctl". Although this is useful, it's not
> compatible with the old days. So we have to either don't do this or document
> is very cleanly.
>
> Second, the logfiles are created now as "httpd-xxxx" per default.  Although I
> also like this idea (because it solves another conflict) we here again have
> some compat problem: People perhaps don't find the files.
>
> So my suggestion is to at least document those two changes _VERY_ good or we
> have new confusion points in the community ("The docs said I should run
> apachectl but there is no such script").

I would prefer to deal with this with some documentation. If we don't
do these two changes, we give them the car without the keys.

> Beside this two points, the patch looks correct to me,
> so +1 even it's a little bit late now to give my vote ;-)

Since we are commit then review, I'm less tied to the voting process
on these things. I needed to get this stuff in in order to work on
other proposed changes, so don't feel bad because you didn't get to
vote.

-Randy