httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@Covalent.NET>
Subject Configure vs. configure: Please read
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 00:33:10 GMT

I'm sure a few folks are getting tired of this debate... Please give
some feedback and hopefully we can bury this.

Issues:
 * Confusion as to which method to use
 * No toplevel Makefile created by Configure
 * code duplication
 * portability

The approach I am contemplating to this is to move the existing APACI
'configure' into the src/ directory as 'Configure' and merge the needed
bits from the old 'Configure' into the APACI 'configure' now named
'Configure'. Replace the APACI 'configure' in the toplevel directory
with a wrapper that essentially is: "#!/bin/sh . src/Configure"

I then see using 'basename' to determine how the script was called and
emulate the 2 different behaviors from one script.

This should solve the toplevel Makefile issue, code duplication issue
and will address portability concerns about APACI. The confusion issue
is going to need to be resolved by the group through attitude and
documentation.

I do think that we need to start encouraging people to use APACI as it
solves a few issues that the old Configure does not. I might point out
that I was one of the people that voted against including APACI in 1.3
originally, but now that we have it, I think we need to start taking
advantage of it.

Personal issues:
 * It is not that important to me that Configure creates a toplevel
   Makefile.
 * I don't have time to do this if there is not support to commit it.

If I get 3 quick +1s on this, I'll start working tonight.

-Randy