httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@Covalent.NET>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/helpers TestCompile
Date Fri, 04 Dec 1998 17:00:10 GMT
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> writes:
> Randy Terbush wrote:
> >

> > Jim,
> >
> > This totally breaks when compiling with GNU make. Did this break
> > something by using the environment?
>
> During my tests on A/UX and FreeBSD this didn't work at all because the
> $MAKE was being 'evaled' and $MAKE wasn't being passed.

Yes, and that makes sense. What I am seeing is that if configure is
called from a shell invoked by gmake, the configuration process will
error out as follows:

Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for FreeBSD 3.0 platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
make: don't know how to make w. Stop
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.
 Aborting!

Calling 'gmake' in this test case solves the problem. One fix would be
to set MAKE=make if MAKE is undefined, but I'm not sure that is really
the problem here. Any feedback would be welcome.

-Randy