httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
Date Fri, 04 Dec 1998 18:59:26 GMT
On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On 2 Dec 1998, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > I would prefer to deal with this with some documentation. If we don't
> > do these two changes, we give them the car without the keys.
>
> There is no way you can deal with this in documentation.  I really do
> NOT like magically changing the names of things.  That was never
> presented as part of this change, and makes it even worse.
>
> There are things that can use cleaning up, but it is NOT appropriate
> to do a half-assed job of it and it is really not appropriate to go
> crazy in 1.3.  Even worse than having two interfaces for doing things is
> randomly changing the defaults for no reason.

Umm, so now the default httpd.conf contains differences in the configured
names of the following files:

   ScoreBoardFile (if used)
   LockFile (if used)
   ErrorLog
   CustomLog
   RefererLog (if used)
   AgentLog (if used)

The ctl script is httpdctl instead of apachectl.

This is going to be incredibly confusing. If the user hasn't specified a
different target name with --target then we should ensure that
_everything_ has the same filename as a previous installation. Otherwise
there was no point with the recent ./configure changes to put us back to
the original directory and file layout.

I think this is a solution to a very minor problem, which is going to
cause a lot more problems than it will solve.

> I do not see the problems that warrent a lot of this changing to try
> to make things perfect, and do not feel it is appropriate for 1.3.x.

I agree.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, C2Net Europe                    http://www.eu.c2.net/~paul/