httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_mime.c
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:04:18 GMT
On 2 Dec 1998 coar@hyperreal.org wrote:
> coar        98/12/01 19:45:54
>
>   Log:
>   	Put in Paul's DefaultLanguage code.  I don't recall seeing
>   	any negative comments, and it's pretty valuable for multilingual
>   	sites.

>   +The DefaultLanguage directive tells Apache that all files in the
>   +directive's scope (<EM>e.g.</EM>, all files covered by the current
>   +<CODE>&lt;Directory&gt;</CODE> container) that don't have an explicit
language
>   +extension (such as <SAMP>.fr</SAMP> or <SAMP>.de</SAMP>) should
be
>   +considered to be the specified <EM>MIME-lang</EM> language
>   +by default, rather than English.  This allows entire directories
>   +to be marked as containing Dutch content, for instance, without
>   +having to rename each file.

Actually, without any language extensions and without a DefaultLangauge, a
file is considered to have no language attribute at all. Apache does not
default to English (this also applies to other dimensions of negotiation
as well, in general, unless the spec says we can default, such as for
chaset where we do default to iso-8859-1 as permitted by RFC2068. Just
FYI).

Paul