httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: Compression via content negotiation
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:53:58 GMT
On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Paul Ausbeck wrote:
> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > What you want is already there.  Turn on multiviews, and request "index"
> > and you'll get negotiation between "index.html" and "index.html.gz".
> > (Whether it does what you want is another question entirely... it
> > certainly works for languages.)  My suggestion was aimed at people who
> > want to use "index.html" to refer to the object.  Apache doesn't negotiate
> > if the named file exists... and I really don't think it should -- it's a
> > performance overhead that's not required for the many files that aren't
> > negotiated.
>
> It certainly works for languages, but not for compression. The details
> are in PR 3447.

Yes. Language, charset and content-type dimensions was "q" values to
express the relative acceptability of each attribute. Encoding when using
Accept-Encoding does not (which is the root problem expressed in PR 3447).
Encoding when using TE: will use q values.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, C2Net Europe                    http://www.eu.c2.net/~paul/
Editor, Apache Week .. the latest Apache news http://www.apacheweek.com/