httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:39:50 GMT

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > *Apache's configuration language is a piece of crap to begin with.
> > It is inconsistent, and non-obvious. I've never claimed otherwise.*
>
> Sure. So don't try to improve it:-(

Again, you're way off.  I want it improved.  I want it improved
desperately, beccause I think it's a load of crap.  I don't want it
improved bit by bit.  I want someone to sit back and design something
that makes sense, and implement that.  If you look in the archives, search
for XML.  You'll find previous discussions on this topic, and you'll see
that many of us think that XML is a suitable replacement language.  And I
do believe it satisfies your macro needs, but then I'm not sure, because
I don't do XML.  If it doesn't, then perhaps you should participate in
the definition of a new language.

> Just let people deal with the 'crap' and wait for the vision, the great
> abstraction that is announced, Brother. Thou can believe it, the Lord
> shall come some final day and solve all your problems. Just wait for it or
> do some perl-or-anything programming till then;-).

No, if I don't veto this, then you and everyone else will continue
this hodge podge approach, and nobody will begin working on 2.0.

Dean