httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: errnos and buff.c
Date Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:17:45 GMT

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On a side note, but mildly related to this: I find Dean's moving of the
> sending of the SIGALRM to make things more reliable, because then silly
> modules or libraries can't break things by killing the timer.
> Unfortunately, it leads to the situation where a silly library can set an
> alarm() but, for whatever reason, not clear it.  Since Apache hasn't set
> any, it won't clear it when the request is over either.  That means that
> in the middle of some random request (or possibly when there isn't even a
> handler installed) Apache will get that SIGALRM and abort the connection
> or kill the child.  Sigh.  I hate unix.

There's far worse things that silly libraries can do, and we don't protect
from any of them.  I don't consider this an issue worth worrying about...

> 	- if you are in a hard_timeout, you MAY be longjmped out of there
> 	  magically if an error writing to the client happens.

Anyone fixed the bug where mod_include sets a hard_timeout then does a
run_subrequest which means that arbitrary code is under a hard_timeout
when it doesn't really expect to be?  I've got a PR on it somewhere.

Dean