httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Compression via content negotiation
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:58:54 GMT

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Yes. The issues is people who have index.html and index.html.gz. At the
> moment a request for index.html will always select index.html, without
> negotiating between index.html and index.html.gz.

I suppose if people want to throw away the performance and take a
directory scan on every hit it's their perogative.  (win32 coders note
that I think you can "one up" unix here and actually do a directory scan
for "index.html*" which might be faster than what we currently do).

Or, a faster alternative in most situations, would be a module which knows
exactly which variants to look for.  Then a simple stat("foo.html.gz") can
be done when "Accept-Encoding: gzip" is present.

Dean