httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: I/O filters & reference counts
Date Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:58:19 GMT
On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Ed Korthof wrote:

> A while back, I indicated I'd propose a way to do reference counts w/ the
> layered I/O I want to implement for 2.0 (assuming we don't use nspr)...
> for single-threaded Apache, this seems unnecessary (assuming you don't use
> shared memory in your filters to share data amoung the processes), but in
> other situations it does have advantages.

You've probably covered this before, but can you give an example of why
this would be useful? I'm not doubting that it is, but it would be nice to
have an example. e.g., it doesn't seem necessary for, say, implementing a
filter version of SSI.

[...]

> pools have a reference to the data & to a counter; when each pool is

Tip: Please avoid the use of the glyph & as an abbreviation for 'and' when
discussing C pointers. This confused the heck out of me for a couple of
minutes ;)

[...]

> It might make sense to build a more general reference counting system; if
> that's what people want, I'm also up for working on that.  But one of the
> advantages the pool system has is its simplicity, some of which would be
> lost.

The pool system has a nice external simplicity, but also an internal one.
It seems to me that adding ref-couting to it makes it internally a lot
more complex. Is that something that's desirable? One can make the same
sort of arguments as when we were talking about pfree() a few months ago.