httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject RE: errnos and buff.c
Date Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:31:51 GMT
On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > Now, using a soft_timeout means that you can get stuck in that function
> > forever, but a well behaved function can prevent that.
>
> No, with soft_timeout you can induce an EINTR in 3rd party library code,

But only sometimes.  If the syscall is restartable...

My "well behaved function" definition is more along the lines of it having
its own hacked broken timeout code so it will timeout within some
reasonable time anyway.  It isn't pretty, but it makes things somewhat
work.

> which as we all know is written so well that it'll handle it gracefully...
> not.
>
> The golden rule is:  asynchronous notification is WRONG.

Well yea, but we only have so many choices...