httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:18:19 GMT
On 2 Dec 1998, Randy Terbush wrote:

> "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com> writes:
> > In article <19981202000021.17610.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> > > randy       98/12/01 16:00:20
> >
> > >   Modified:    .        Makefile.tmpl configure
> > >                src      CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Configure Makefile.tmpl
> > >                src/include httpd.h
> > >                src/main http_config.c http_log.c http_main.c util.c
> > >                src/modules/proxy proxy_cache.c
> > >                src/modules/standard mod_include.c mod_log_agent.c
> > >                         mod_log_config.c mod_log_referer.c mod_mime.c
> > >                src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
> > >   Log:
> > >   Fix TARGET configuration when configuring and installing using
> > >   APACI configure. TARGET now defines the basename of the configuration
> > >   file, startup script, manual page, etc. log_error_core() now reports
> > >   the server binary name given by argv[0]. TARGET can now also be defined
> > >   with --target=TARGET parameter passed to APACI configure.
> >
> > It's fine except for those changes, IMHO:
> >
> > >[...]
> > >   +       echo "|   $(sbindir)/$(TARGET)ctl start"; \
> > >[...]
> > >   +           -e 's;logs/access_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-access_log;' \
> > >   +           -e 's;logs/error_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-error_log;' \
> > >   +           -e 's;logs/referer_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-referer_log;'
\
> > >   +           -e 's;logs/agent_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-agent_log;' \
> > >[...]
> >
> > Because these provide compat problems: The default for TARGET is "httpd", so
> > the script is now named "httpdctl". Although this is useful, it's not
> > compatible with the old days. So we have to either don't do this or document
> > is very cleanly.
> >
> > Second, the logfiles are created now as "httpd-xxxx" per default.  Although I
> > also like this idea (because it solves another conflict) we here again have
> > some compat problem: People perhaps don't find the files.
> >
> > So my suggestion is to at least document those two changes _VERY_ good or we
> > have new confusion points in the community ("The docs said I should run
> > apachectl but there is no such script").
>
> I would prefer to deal with this with some documentation. If we don't
> do these two changes, we give them the car without the keys.

There is no way you can deal with this in documentation.  I really do
NOT like magically changing the names of things.  That was never
presented as part of this change, and makes it even worse.

There are things that can use cleaning up, but it is NOT appropriate
to do a half-assed job of it and it is really not appropriate to go
crazy in 1.3.  Even worse than having two interfaces for doing things is
randomly changing the defaults for no reason.

I have very very very rarely seen anyone having trouble with
multiple installations in one directory or whatever the rationale for
this change supposedly is that would be helped by this.  If anything,
they would just be far more confused.

The whole idea when this started was that having arbitrary odd paths
used by configure that one person just made up is a problem.  Now
we are just changing it to other arbitrary odd "paths" and like things
that someone else made up.

I do not see the problems that warrent a lot of this changing to try
to make things perfect, and do not feel it is appropriate for 1.3.x.