httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Compression via content negotiation
Date Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:45:59 GMT
>Roy, I have to take issue with this one.  It would be difficult to implement
>compression transfer encoding in Apache 1.3.x where
>all content is pre-compressed.  But compress on the fly is not so painful.

Actually, that's backwards.  Storing things pre-compressed is far easier
and only requires a module to do decompression if the recipient does
not support the chosen compression.  The only problem is the dual-use
situation, where the same files are being used on and off the Web, but
it would be easy to write such a module for deflate.

Compression on the fly is not easy to do in Apache 1.3.x.  I know it
seems easy to do it in libwww or java, but that's because Henrik spent
two years working on the streaming stuff first.  The only way to add it
to Apache is to completely replace the buff routines, and there's no
way we are going to let anyone screw with those after finally getting
the bugs out of the performance and chunked enhancements.

2.0 is the next version of the server, so it's not like we are ignoring
compression.  We just don't have anyone working on 2.0 at the moment.
That'll change in a couple weeks, now that we've given up on Netscape
ever fixing the license for NSPR.

....Roy