httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Compression via content negotiation
Date Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:12:32 GMT
Please don't forward advertisements here.  That is easily the worst
application of compression I have ever seen.  All it is doing is
compressing the content without changing the media type.  In other
words, it has all the failings of content-encoding without the
benefit of a standard.  Who the hell cares what metadata a search
engine picks up if nobody accessing the document can read it?

>4.  Does a lot of  'neat' things OTHER than great compression on HTML.
>     It has the ability to ENCODE an EXECUTABLE code fragment
>     in an HTML document which EXECUTES when it hits the browser.
>     It can do things that JAVA can't. This part of the product is called
>JO(tm).

In other words, it is also a trojan horse.

....Roy