httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: Updated mod_digest
Date Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:56:46 GMT

"Ralf S. Engelschall" wrote:

> >> On some systems (Linux, BSD etc.) you can use /dev/random if it exists.
>
> > Hmm, yes, that looks pretty good. Thanks for the tip. One question: if
> > this device exists, does it always produce something reasonable? I.e.
> > is a test for the existence of this device sufficient? I thought I
> > overheard something somewhere that sometimes /dev/random is just a
> > dummy device.
>
> Be careful with /dev/random. I've tried to use it in mod_ssl for SSLeay's
> "ssleay genrsa" command and it worked fine under FreeBSD's /dev/random. But
> after releasing it, we discovered that although some Linux platforms have
> /dev/random it works slightly different there. At least "ssleay genrsa" hang
> an these systems. I've not looked inside SSLeay's genrsa command, but when you
> want to use it, perhaps you should do it first. I'm sure either SSLeay's
> genrsa command does it use incorrectly or the /dev/raX-Mozilla-Status: 0009 platforms
was broken. Let's hope the first is the case...

Although there are some entertainging bugs, the biggest difference I
found between

FreeBSDs and Linux random device; is that linux seems to need a lot more
entropy
before it outputs extra 'bits'. Both will block on read() if there is
not enough
entropy. Note
also the urand and rand devices which do not have this limit; but which
are less
pure entropy based (but which are IMHO just as 'good' for most rsa
purposes as
the numbers are hard to predict based on older ones and sufficiently
different)

Dw