httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Ausbeck <pa...@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu>
Subject Re: Compression via content negotiation
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 22:01:13 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >Yes. The issues is people who have index.html and index.html.gz. At the
> >moment a request for index.html will always select index.html, without
> >negotiating between index.html and index.html.gz.
>
> Yep, and that part isn't going to change.  There must always be a
> distinction within our httpd namespace between URLs that are negotiation
> handles and those that are not.  Failure to maintain this distinction
> completely screws over both caching and authoring of resource
> representations.
>
> ....Roy

I'm not so sure that's a good idea. RIGHT NOW a site using MS's server
can be configured to transparently encode html files. Static, dynamic,
and lazy compression can all be configured. Current versions of both IE
and Navigator work correctly with MS's server. Compression can be
applied even to urls that explicitly exist, not just negotiation
handles.

There are all sorts of potential pitfalls with compression. I don't
think that one should lose sight of the fact that it would be nice if
internet bandwidth were effectively doubled. I think that some focus
should be put on the sweetspot of enabling transparent html compression.
Problems with secondary issues can most likely be handled by thoughtful
site administration.

Paul Ausbeck