httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Ausbeck <pa...@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu>
Subject Re: Compression via content negotiation
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 21:36:20 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Paul Ausbeck wrote:
> > >
> > > Both major browsers have had compression for quite some time and also do the
right thing with Accept-Encoding headers.

> > Is this actually true?  ISTR lots of problems with IE downloading
>
> No, it is not.
>
> Even current versions of Netscape don't, AFAIK, handle it properly.

I don't know what ISTR or AFAIK mean. I do know what is going on on my
machine. IE has had gzip and deflate compression for almost 1 year and
Navigator has had gzip compression for almost 6 months.

There sure is a wide variety of opinion on this subject. I will attempt
to colate information that seems significant and attach it to pr 3447.

Paul Ausbeck