httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Fabien COELHO <coe...@cri.ensmp.fr>
Subject Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Mon, 28 Dec 1998 07:49:47 GMT

> Fabien COELHO writes:
> > ... See, my creativity is stopped by the AG conservatism;-)
>
> This goes to the heart of our problem.  Fun v.s. Conservatism.
> [...]

Well, I undertand your argument, that is the need for conservatism in a
software project such as apache, i.e. stability. However I do not think
that a maintenance issue is *fun*. I started using NCSA years ago, then I
installed apache, and I kept waiting for solutions to my little
maintenance problems. None came out in 3 years. So I did it myself.
Apache configuration is an issue to administrators when the sites are
non trivial.

So don't forget to take this into consideration, for version 2. For
instance, using XML might be fun for apache developers, it does not mean
that it'll be useful. It does not solve any problem at hand. What are the
problems? That's the first question. Then look for solutions. There is no
need to change just for the purpose of changing things.

Fabien.