httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:50:53 GMT
Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > Second mod_rewrite couldn't be part of
> > the distribution when I wouldn't be a member of the group.  Not because
> > of license or whatever author reasons. No, just because the group cannot
> > provide a module (= piece of software) for which there is no maintainer
> > in the group. And especially complex modules like mod_rewrite cannot
> > survive without an active maintainer _inside_ the group.  This was one
> > of the major reason why mod_fastcgi.c was removed in the past when you
> > remember.
>
> You humble opinion is right, I happen not to know about these historical
> points and motivations of the apache saga.
>
> I daren't compare my simple module with your great very stable, clean and
> proved rewrite machinery;-) I was naive to think that modules are included
> only because they are of interest to some/many/most users. There are other
> issues. I agree that a software must be stable before inclusion. But as
> mod_macro is a simple feature, I don't think it is a big issue. Moreover I
> can assume its maintenance, whether I'm in or out of "the apache group".
> It's no big deal.

Well, mod_rewrite is/was, IMO, a special case. It's an EXTREMELY large
and complex module. To be an official module, it DID require active
maintainance. However, this does NOT mean that modules can and will only
be added to the official source if and only if the original author
is a member of AG. Past history shows otherwise. As you state, modules
are included when there is sufficient interest/desire/demand for it
to be part of the official source. Right now, mod_macro may not have that,
but given enough time and an active Public Relations blitz, that
could easily change :-) mod_rewrite was a 3rd party module until Ralf
lobbied long and hard for it to be included :) :) :)