httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:03:21 GMT

In article <199812230804.JAA15044@deauville.ensmp.fr> you wrote:

>[...]
> The question is how useful the feature is. For instance mod_rewrite is
> included in the distribution. I'm a satisfied user of it, but such a big
> module could be a third party module. It is not, because it may be of
> interest to many, even if not to all. I do think the same about macros.
>[...]

IMHO you forgot two important points: First mod_rewrite was very stable, clean
and proved by the user community a long time _before_ we comitted it to the
Apache distribution. Second mod_rewrite couldn't be part of the distribution
when I wouldn't be a member of the group.  Not because of license or whatever
author reasons. No, just because the group cannot provide a module (= piece of
software) for which there is no maintainer in the group. And especially
complex modules like mod_rewrite cannot survive without an active maintainer
_inside_ the group.  This was one of the major reason why mod_fastcgi.c was
removed in the past when you remember.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com