httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Fabien COELHO <coe...@cri.ensmp.fr>
Subject Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:08:01 GMT

> [... m4 stuff ...]
> Which works fine.

Sure, but this is not my point.

> m4 definitely has it's weaknesses -- but so does every other language in
> existence.  Trading it for a custom macro language wouldn't necessarily
> avoid ugliness -- it'd just trade one set for another.  Save that the new
> set would be nonstandard.

Is there any standard un apache conf files?

The only "standard" I could see is that sections are html-like (well,
without the name-value assocation of paramaters), the directives are
backslash-continued line-oriented and the syntax depends on the first
keyword on the line (you cannot make any assumptions about what follows on
the line, each command can have its own rules. This is a good feature
for extensions that people may want to add).

I stick to that for the integrated macro definition and use stuff.

It's standard from the apache-world point of view. However it is not
from hte Un*x-world (perl/cpp/m4) or NT-world (VB) or whatever point of
view. Also neither perl/m4/cpp do solve my problem (clean and simple
maintenance).

Fabien.