httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:16:52 GMT
On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 04:01:47PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> It sounds to me like you are arguing against using m4 for a config
> language and in favor of using a different one.
In part, iff said preprocessor is not well suited for that purpose
(and in the cas of m4 I fear it is).

> However, none of that
> says it needs to be or should be embedded in the server itself.
Of course. And ISTR that fvwm in the mean time found the same solution,
i.e., calling "a preprocessor" which simply outputs the final config
file.
BTW: That is the same frontend solution as in the Apache-GUI case:
they present a "high level abstraction" (the GUI view) that is then
"compiled into" the normal apache configuration format.

> I'm not sure we really need to do that to the real
> config language though.

Agreed.

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products