httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: FW: general/3563: I want to allow the definition and use of macros within runtime configuration files.
Date Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:54:10 GMT
Hmmm, I agree with Fabien that use of m4 is (powerful but) dangerous.
Yes, Dean, one can redefine the quote char (but only to ONE char
in AT&T Unix derivatives like SVR4). And the "native" m4 variants are
unable to define a m4-prefix to all keywords (which makes any occurrences
of any of the keywords in the input stream a PITA to deal with).
Yes, you can redefine/undefine the keywords as well. But how much
redefining will people tolerate for ONE simple substitution? I tried
both the m4 and the cpp approaches with the fvwm config files, and
they both just suck for the purpose of munching a general purpose
configuration file. Think of
  <FilesMatch /httpd/`include'/*.h>
just to avoid include to be treated as a keyword! "@$%&/(*'*#

No, I think Fabien's solution is very neat, and his examples show
solutions for everyday's problems.

+1 by concept (I often would have loved to have this feature);
but of course I'd like to evaluate it before I make a final decision.

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products