httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Acknowledgements
Date Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:33:12 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> Yes, names on the code can create an excuse not to dive in and take a
> wack at things.  But they are not the principle cause of this problem,
> the principle cause is that bundle of fears.  In my opinion they are a
> useful tool, a reward if you will, in overcoming that fear.

All very good points. Of course, we already have a "reward" for those
who add/change code, and that's CHANGES. In fact, that's one of the
key reasons for CHANGES, IMO.

I'll get very specific, since that's easier to handle. I'll take one
example, which is fresh because we're talking about it now: APACI. Ralf
has done a great deal of work on it, and right in the source he's
put a "written by" line. Leaving aside the idea that ideally anything
in the official source should be "written by AG" if anything at all,
there comes, sooner or later, the uncomfortable situation where the
"written by" no longer becomes entirely valid. Say Randy decides to
really start whacking away at APACI. At what point does it stop being
"written by Ralf" and become "written by Ralf and Randy" or "written
by Randy and Ralf"? Now say I come along and add 2 lines of code. Can
I now say "written by Jim, Randy and Ralf"? Add a few more people
and you can see the problem.

So besides the lofty ideals of "the group writes the code and specific
acknowledgements are best left to CHANGES" there's the real problem
of such attributes changing. At which point it becomes either touchy
or stupid :)

The HS regex package is a special case: Mr. Spencer isn't a member of
AG. So it's valid and right to make sure he's credited with it.

Anyway, that's my POV. We all gain some advantage from our association
with Apache, and that's all well and good. I just think that doing
so by "official acknowledgements" in the code is a slippery slope. If
we had no other mechanism to do so, then it would be different, but
along with CHANGES there's ABOUT_APACHE and people's entries in
contributors, etc...

Take my comments for what they're worth. ;)