httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Hmmm... the new --with-layout stuff breaks major APACI goals
Date Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:41:18 GMT

In article <9812151706.aa24472@paris.ics.uci.edu> you wrote:

> Ralf, I am glad APACI exists, but I am sick and tired of this
> "us against them" rant you keep repeating every time someone criticizes
> APACI.  Just stuff it.

Sorry, I don't wanted to bother someone.

> I don't use APACI because I never do an install,
> not because I don't think it is worthwhile to help other users do an
> install.  And, quite frankly, the reason the default path layout is
> changing now instead of last year is because you didn't take the others'
> feedback seriously when they originally asked for the traditional path
> layout to be used, not because the rest of the group is behaving
> irresponsibly now.

Wait, I didn't criticized the fact that the layout changed now.  It's ok, I
just dislike it. But it's ok, really. I've now just a problem with the fact
that our "don't make any layout _the default_" breaks major APACI interface
goals.

> I think the default layout should be the classic Apache one.

Yeah, ok. I didn't said we shouldn't do this...

> I don't
> believe that any user is going to be surprised, but you can easily solve
> that problem by checking the old default layout for an existing file
> and ask the user to confirm the new layout.  I don't think that requiring
> an explicit --with-layout option is a good idea even as a compromise,
> particularly since I don't believe in design by compromise.  But for
> crissakes, let's just fix it and stop bitching about how we got into
> this predicament in the first place.

Fine, so doesn this mean it's a +1 from you for making --with-layout=Apache
the _default_? That's all I wanted to hear... ;-)

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com