httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Varying methods
Date Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:22:17 GMT

In article <199812100338.WAA27750@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>> I therefore retract the below and suggest/recommend/will-do the
>> if [ "x$var" = "x" ]; then method :) :)
>>

> It's also easier to search for /x\$ rather than /\.\$     :)

<grin> But it's harder to _read_.
That's why I use the dot-style, because

  if [ ".$var" = . ]; then

_optically_ reads more like the "logically expected"

  if [ $var ]; then

than

  if [ "x$var" = "x" ]; then

where one usually first has to think about what's going on here because of the
dark "x" chars.  This dot-style is not my creation, of course. But I currently
don't know from where it originally comes...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com