httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Varying methods
Date Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:47:24 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> writes:
> > I've noticed that we all have our own ways of handling the
> >
> > 	if [ "x$var" = "x" ];
>
> The style above would probably be safest since I've encountered some cases
> lately where 'make' creates many variables with '.' prefix. I couldn't
> find a case where it was causing any problems, but they exist
> nontheless.

Well, to be honest, I've always used the above method since working
on a PDP-11, since REAL old shells also had troubles with that initial
"." as well. I just didn't want to seem prejudiced against Ralf or like
I was picking on him since he prefers the ".".

I therefore retract the below and suggest/recommend/will-do the
if [ "x$var" = "x" ]; then method :) :)