httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/helpers TestCompile
Date Wed, 09 Dec 1998 19:49:33 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> writes:
> > Randy Terbush wrote:
> > >
> > > Doesn't seem so. I'm about to get back to fixing this and the other
> > > outstanding issue that Paul raised. I've also found some other nits
> > > that will require that we change 'make' to $(MAKE) in order to get
> > > things to work in this somewhat strange case I have.
> > >

> > As I understand it, $(MAKE) is only "defined" in Makefiles. AFAIK
> > there's no way for Configure or configure to know which 'make' the
> > built Makefile will be called as :(
>
> 'make' defines an environment variable for the path for argv[0] when
> it executes. If configure or Configure gets called from a Makefile,
> then the variable will be set. Otherwise, we need to default to
> defining it to 'make'.

Agreed. But right now neither Configure nor configure are called from a
Makefile. :(

But could this cause problems? Let's assume that both use 'make' as
a default, so when ./Configure is run, $(MAKE) expands to 'make'
and the TestCompile works OK. But if after Configure is run, the user then
types 'gmake' then what ./Configure used was "wrong", and isn't this
the problem you're seeing now?

Anyway, this is all academic at this point. The 'nits' you mention above
most likely handle all this.