httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/helpers TestCompile
Date Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:17:05 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:

> Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> writes:
> > Randy Terbush wrote:
> > >

> > > Jim,
> > >
> > > This totally breaks when compiling with GNU make. Did this break
> > > something by using the environment?
> >
> > During my tests on A/UX and FreeBSD this didn't work at all because the
> > $MAKE was being 'evaled' and $MAKE wasn't being passed.
>
> Yes, and that makes sense. What I am seeing is that if configure is
> called from a shell invoked by gmake, the configuration process will
> error out as follows:
>
> Creating Makefile in src
>  + configured for FreeBSD 3.0 platform
>  + setting C compiler to gcc
>  + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
>  + checking for system header files
>  + adding selected modules
> make: don't know how to make w. Stop
>  + doing sanity check on compiler and options
> ** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
> ** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
> ** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
> ** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
> ** will also provide a clue.
>  Aborting!
>
> Calling 'gmake' in this test case solves the problem. One fix would be
> to set MAKE=make if MAKE is undefined, but I'm not sure that is really
> the problem here. Any feedback would be welcome.

Strange.... The makefile itself in helpers is pretty generic so it should
work with all versions of make. Not sure why it's saying that it doesn't
know how to 'make w'... What's 'w'?

Is this using 'configure' or 'Configure'? I do notice that we use TARGET in
helpers/TestCompile, so maybe it's a conflict there??