httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Configure vs. configure: Please read
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 13:58:07 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <x7n257mlh5.fsf@montana.covalent.net> you wrote:
>
> > I'm sure a few folks are getting tired of this debate... Please give
> > some feedback and hopefully we can bury this.
>
> > Issues:
> >  * Confusion as to which method to use
>
> My opinion: One one single method, yes. So I support your merging idea in
> general. The difference is just that some people use this method as
> "./Configure -file" and others with APACI options.

I agree. I just don't know if the 1.3.x tree is the place to make
this change. No matter which one we choose, it causes changes for
half the people out there. And a 1.3.3->1.3.4 version bump doesn't
seem the right for it.

> Sure, but the only "advantage" of APACI for our "fighting-against-APACI" guys
> is the installation procecure (for some of us not even that ;-).

Well, I'm not really fighting against APACI. I'm "fighting" (or actually
just reminding) for the fact that there ARE people who are using
the old method, are more than happy using the old method and will
resist using the new "command-line oriented" new method. If './configure'
all by itself would work the same way as './Configure' all by itself
(read and follow the Configuration file, with the same paths) then
IMO all arguments go away. Same if './configure -file Conf.file'
worked the same as './Configure -file Conf.file'

Question: This is kind of touchy, but when have I let that stop me? :)
          At what point does a file no longer "warrant" the "Written by
	  <name>" line, esp when it's part of the official Apache
	  source? Awhile ago I added some "acknowledgments" to the
	  helper files, but I did that as a direct reaction to such
	  acknowledgements in other scripts and files. I'm going
	  to reverse these, since this doesn't seem to be in keeping
	  with the "group" mentality. CHANGES and the CVS logs already
	  do that.