httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
Date Wed, 02 Dec 1998 08:04:14 GMT

In article <19981202000021.17610.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> randy       98/12/01 16:00:20

>   Modified:    .        Makefile.tmpl configure
>                src      CHANGES Configuration.tmpl Configure Makefile.tmpl
>                src/include httpd.h
>                src/main http_config.c http_log.c http_main.c util.c
>                src/modules/proxy proxy_cache.c
>                src/modules/standard mod_include.c mod_log_agent.c
>                         mod_log_config.c mod_log_referer.c mod_mime.c
>                src/support Makefile.tmpl apxs.pl
>   Log:
>   Fix TARGET configuration when configuring and installing using
>   APACI configure. TARGET now defines the basename of the configuration
>   file, startup script, manual page, etc. log_error_core() now reports
>   the server binary name given by argv[0]. TARGET can now also be defined
>   with --target=TARGET parameter passed to APACI configure.

It's fine except for those changes, IMHO:

>[...]
>   +       echo "|   $(sbindir)/$(TARGET)ctl start"; \
>[...]
>   +           -e 's;logs/access_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-access_log;' \
>   +           -e 's;logs/error_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-error_log;' \
>   +           -e 's;logs/referer_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-referer_log;' \
>   +           -e 's;logs/agent_log;$(logfiledir)/$(TARGET)-agent_log;' \
>[...]

Because these provide compat problems: The default for TARGET is "httpd", so
the script is now named "httpdctl". Although this is useful, it's not
compatible with the old days. So we have to either don't do this or document
is very cleanly.

Second, the logfiles are created now as "httpd-xxxx" per default.  Although I
also like this idea (because it solves another conflict) we here again have
some compat problem: People perhaps don't find the files.

So my suggestion is to at least document those two changes _VERY_ good or we
have new confusion points in the community ("The docs said I should run
apachectl but there is no such script").

Beside this two points, the patch looks correct to me,
so +1 even it's a little bit late now to give my vote ;-)

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com